Beef Chili (Chili con Carne)
- 1 lb flank steak
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 scallion
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup finely chopped green pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 3 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ chipotle chili with adobo from a can
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- In a pot, place all the beef and broth ingredients and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the meat is cooked.
- Strain and measure 1 cup of the liquid used to cook the meat. Set aside.
- Remove the beef from the pot, chop and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes and chipotle in the food processor and process until smooth and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, red and green pepper and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano and chili powder and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the beans, tomato mixture and the beef to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Add the sugar, cilantro and tomato paste. Cook for 10 minutes more. If the chili is too thick, use some of the broth you set aside. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream. Serve.
Who can resist a bowl of hot beef chili on a cold day?
Chili con Carne anyone? This dish makes the perfect lunch or dinner on a cold winter day. Oh, I cannot wait to have another bowl! The best thing about chili is that it is as good the next day as the day you cooked it. So, you may want to increase the serving size and make a large pot, so you’ll have some leftover for the next day. There are only a few dishes that I eat the next day, as I am not a leftover person, but chili and arroz con pollo are a couple that I usually enjoy the day after I cook them.
For this chili con carne I used flank steak and it was absolutely delicious. Try it!
That's exactly the right dish for the winter!
Miriam/The Winter Guest
Looks wonderful! I'd have one right now and I just had my dinner! 😉
Oh I always come over here and wish I had something...I would be a happy servant in your home 🙂
Wish I could have one bowl too..it's really cold here and this is perfect for this chilly weather 🙂
Awesome...It's perfect for this weather..Wish I could grab that bowl 😀
That looks really awesome! I like hearty meals.
On a scale of one to ten, I give this eleven. I love the use of flank steak!
Thank you guys for the nice comments!
Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
I would love a bowl of this delicious chili!
Oh, yum - this looks absolutely amazing! Perfect for this chilly (chilli) time of the year
oh gosh! this sounds PERFECT for a day like today when there's snow outside!!!
Christine @ Fresh Local and Best
This looks very good! I'm going to file this one away to make some time soon! Thanks for sharing!
Loving your version of chili! Will try and incorporate some of your spices and ingredients into mine the next time I make it 🙂
Thanks sounds very flavourful and a perfect dish for cold days.
Your chili looks delicious, I could definitely go for a bowl of this on a cold day like today!
Thank you everyone!!!
looks really delicious!!!
this looks souper good! I'll have to try your chili version.
I made this chili yesterday and my family loved it. Thank you for the recipe.
I made this chili and it was different,but delicious.
This is the best chili!!!!We loved it. Thank you for the recipe. it is delicious.
Can you do this in a slow cooker?
Me puedes decir por que puedo substituir el chipotle chili con adobo por algo k no sea picante.
Karen- Add a mild chili!
I made this chili con carne last night for a party and it was a hit.thanks
Cindy paola Martinez
I made this to bring to a chili contest party that ended up being a lie, and lets just say that even though there was no way to vote mine was all gone at the end of the night and I doubled the recipe! Its absolutely delicious and I recommend it to anyone!