Tuna, Chick Peas and Orzo Salad
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 15 can garbanzo beans,rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup English cucumber diced
- 1 to mato diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley Chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 2 cans tuna drained
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta and set aside to cool.
- Place the garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomato, scallions, garlic, parsley, basil and onions in a large salad bowl, mix well and then add the orzo and tuna.
- Mix together the lemon juice, zest,white vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the salad and mix well.
- Using 2 forks until well mixed. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Today's recipe is a good summer salad: Tuna, orzo, chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber and fresh herbs with a lemon dressing. This refreshing salad just might become a summer staple at your table. It is wonderfully filling, improves as it sits, and can be easily transported for lunch at the office.
The tuna makes this a meal-in-a-bowl type of salad, and if you want a vegetarian option, just omit the tuna.
Check check check...got those ingredients...gonna have to make this!
Sounds like a great light summer lunch!
Un plato muy rico y refrescante también!
Me gusta mucho el atún.
Besitos de Bruselas!
D. @ Outside Oslo
What a wonderful dish for summertime! So healthy and light, yet substantial!
I met some Colombian buddies and got introduced to Colombian cooking...it's awesome!
Amy @ cookbookmaniac
This would make a perfect lunch for me tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!
Baking is my Zen
A great salad to put together quickly...excellent!
I love making a bit pot of salad like this to have on hand during the week. Orzo salads are some of my very favorite!
I love how refreshing and simple this is! That's what my tastebuds are craving these days.
Love orzo salad too.....the additions of chickpeas and tuna make the salad so flavourful and yummy!
Hello there, I live in the UK, and came across your website through a charity that I support - Children of the Andes.
I am interested in trying the tuna, chick peas and orzo salad, but I don't know what orzo and scallions are; are there other names for these please? I guess orzo is some kind of pasta...? Scallions - I have no idea. Best wishes, Grace
Grace- Orzo is a kind of pasta and scallions are green onions.
Another veggies dish for me to use.
Erica: Mandame la receta para empanadas Colombianas porfa!
This is the perfect summer lunch for me!
All I can tell you is that I am so going to make this! Delicious combination.
I love orzo, it's great for pasta salads. And the chickpeas makes it so meaty.It looks delicious Erica.
I've been reading your posts lately and have developed a strong craving for tuna. I know what at least one dinner will be this week. =)
Thank you all!!!
great and super healthy salad love it
your salad is so fresh and welcome with the heatwave we have in Paris !!pierre
A perfect summer dish! A great combo with tuna and the other ingredients.
Wow, great salad...tuna and orzo...it is sure a great meal for the Summer 🙂