Tuna, Chick Peas and Orzo Salad
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 15 can garbanzo beans,rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup English cucumber diced
- 1 to mato diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley Chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 2 cans tuna drained
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta and set aside to cool.
- Place the garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomato, scallions, garlic, parsley, basil and onions in a large salad bowl, mix well and then add the orzo and tuna.
- Mix together the lemon juice, zest,white vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the salad and mix well.
- Using 2 forks until well mixed. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Today's recipe is a good summer salad: Tuna, orzo, chick peas, tomatoes, cucumber and fresh herbs with a lemon dressing. This refreshing salad just might become a summer staple at your table. It is wonderfully filling, improves as it sits, and can be easily transported for lunch at the office.
The tuna makes this a meal-in-a-bowl type of salad, and if you want a vegetarian option, just omit the tuna.