This hot punch is a wonderful and comforting drink. Caspiroleta is creamy and sweet, perfect to enjoy during a cold day.
What is Caspiroleta?
It is a popular hot drink in Colombia and other Latin American countries, usually made with milk, eggs, cinnamon, sugar, and wine, aguardiente, pisco, brandy or rum, depending on the country. However, you can omit the liquor for a kid friendly version.
In some countries Caspiroleta is also known as Ponche Crema, and ingredients are added or omitted depending on country and the chef. This warm drink is creamy, rich and absolutely delicious and perfect on a cold day! I prefer to make Caspiroleta with rum or brandy, but you can use aguardiente or sweet wine if you prefer.
Colombian Caspiroleta Recipe
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 ounces sweet wine brandy or rum (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for serving
- In a medium pot combine the milk, sugar and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat.
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks, and pour about ½ a cup of the warm milk over the beating eggs yolks and stir it well, then slowly add the egg yolk mixture to the milk and stir well.
- Cook over low medium heat, stirring consistently, until the mixture starts to thicken, while not letting it boil. Add brandy and vanilla.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon and serve immediately.
More Drink Recipes to Try