Chocolate Flan ( Flan de Chocolate)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 Whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- To prepare the caramel, put 1 cup of sugar in a small pot with ½ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and reduce the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until the syrup turns a caramel color.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of the caramel into each ramekin or any oven proof mold you want to use. Swirl each dish to coat the base with the caramel, work fast as the caramel will harden quickly as it cools. Place all the ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, egg yolks and 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the condensed milk, heavy cream, evaporated milk and cocoa powder and mix for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the flan mixture into the caramelized ramekins in the roasting pan. Then add hot water to the roasting pan, not to the ramekins, until the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
Happy Valentine's day everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful time with the people that you love.
I want to share the recipe with you for one of my favorite desserts, flan, but this time I made a chocolate version to celebrate Valentine's Day. Simple and easy to make, yet special and delicious.
Feliz Dia del Amor y la amistad!