This cross between rice pudding and creme brulee makes a fantastic ending to any meal.
1 cup long-grain white rice, washed
4 cinnamon sticks
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups coconut milk
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ tablespoon coconut extract
1 ½ cups sugar
1 (12 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/3 cup light brown sugar
- In a small pot, add water and cinnamon sticks, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Place the rice and the cinnamon water in a large saucepan, over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, butter, 1 cup milk, coconut extract, 1 cup coconut milk and sugar. Stir well to mix and cook uncovered for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the remaining coconut milk, heavy cream and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency. Add the coconut flakes.
- Stir well and remove from heat, and let it cool at room temperature. The consistency should be very creamy. Divide the rice pudding evenly into 6 ramekins. Refrigerate for a least 1 hour or overnight.
- Just before serving, preheat the broiler and top each ramekin with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Put the ramekins in a baking pan filled with water and broil the custard for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve and Enjoy!