It is common practice in the United States to serve the salad before the main dish, rather than as a part of the main meal, as we do in Colombia. This Ensalada de Repollo con Tomate is my mom’s recipe and it was a staple in my house growing up. We ate it every day for lunch as a part of our meal with dishes such as Sudados, Pollo Asado, Bistec Encebollado, Arroz con Pollo, and many more.
It is one of my favorite salads and it is simple and easy to make, while refreshing and full of flavor. I prefer to make it at least two hours in advance and keep it in the fridge to allow the flavors to blend. This salad is even better the next day and is perfect for a picnic or backyard barbecue.
(About 4-6 servings)
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 5 limes
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, cilantro and tomatoes. Toss thoroughly to distribute the ingredients evenly. Add the dressing and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to let the flavors develop.