Out of all my favorite traditional Colombian recipes, my mom’s Arroz con Pollo ranks in my top 10. This is a big deal, considering that I’m in love with the more than 750 recipes I’ve posted on mycolombianrecipes.com I love my mom’s Arroz con Pollo so much that I find myself eating the cold leftovers for breakfast in the morning. It’s total comfort food for me.
Just the other day I was craving my mom’s Arroz con Pollo, but didn’t have any chicken breast in the house. So, I decided to make a simple version using chicken legs and baked in the oven instead of prepared on the stove. My goal was to simplify the recipe without compromising the flavors and texture. It was a simple and wonderful version of my classic Arroz con Pollo.
- 8 chicken legs
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran or color
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen diced green beans
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Melt the butter with the oil in a large oven proof pan, with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until well browned, about 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken and cook until other side browns lightly, about 2 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add the red pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sazon goya, cumin, rice, and season with salt. Stir until the rice is coated. Add the broth, stir well and increase the heat to high and boil until liquid begins to be absorbed into the rice, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the rice. Cover and transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the rice is soft and chicken is cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the cover, fluff the rice and stir in the peas, carrots and green beans. Move the chicken to the top to make the skin crispy. Cook for 10 minutes more. Cover and let sit, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...