A couple of weeks ago, having not gone to the market yet that week, I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I didn’t have a lot of food in the fridge and the only vegetable I had was broccoli.
Whenever I spend too much time trying to figure out what to make for dinner, dinner usually results in pasta! Well, it is versatile, easy and delicious.
Here is the recipe for my Pasta with Cheese and Broccoli. Simple, quick and a crowd pleaser! Try it!
(4 to 6 servings)
1 pound dried pasta
2 pounds of broccoli flowers
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water. Remove the broccoli from the water using a slotted spoon and set aside. Cook the pasta in the same water until al dente. Drain well and keep warm.
2. While pasta cooks, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally. Add the flour, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well.
3. Whisk in milk and raise heat a little to bring to a quick boil. Add the broth , mustard and heavy cream. Simmer sauce to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and stir well.
4. Add the broccoli , cheddar and parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Drain pasta and add to the sauce.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. Transfer the pasta to individual baking casseroles and bake for 15 minutes, then turn the oven to broil and cook, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.