This simple Pasta with Portobello Mushroom Sauce recipe is very easy to prepare and has plenty of flavor, making it perfect for a vegetarian weeknight dinner. You can substitute any other mushroom variety. Serve with a green salad.
Penne Pasta with Portobello Mushroom Sauce
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 ½ cups cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente; drain well and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, add the tomato paste, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon about 5 minutes. Add the parmigiano-reggiano and 1 tablespoon chives, stir well and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Add the pasta to the mushroom sauce, stirring well and cook until the pasta is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve immediately.