This quesadilla was inspired by a traditional Colombian pastry called “Pastel Gloria” which is basically a pie crust filled with guava paste, dulce de leche or arequipe and white cheese. I don’t know where the name came from, but it is fantastic.
You may be thinking that the combination of dulce de leche with guava paste is too sweet, but trust me, the cheese balances the sweetness and it’s absolutely delicious.
- 4 small soft flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons arequipe or dulce de leche
- 8 thin slices of guava paste
- 8 thin slices of mozzarella cheese
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Arrange 2 tortillas on a flat surface. Spread each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, 1 ½ tablespoon arequipe, top with 4 slices of guava paste and 4 slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the remaining to 2 tortillas.
- Cook until the bottom is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook until the cheese is melted and the second side is lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and the remaining ingredients to make 2 quesadillas. Cut each into quarters.