Elena Ruz is a popular Cuban sandwich made turkey, cream cheese and strawberry preserves. This sandwich has the perfect combination of salty and sweetness. Elena Ruz was a Cuban socialite and this turkey sandwich was named after her.
I love Cuban food and sandwiches are an important part of Cuban cuisine. I have family in Florida who I would visit before I came to live in the United States and that is where I learned a little about Cuban food.
My uncle was married with a Cuban women and she cooked delicious and authentic Cuban food. On one of my visits, she introduced me to this delicious turkey sandwich. When I first heard of the ingredients, I was a little scared about those flavors together, but after my first bite I could not stop eating it. It is delicious and the flavors actually work fantastic together. I love the combo of salty and sweet foods, so to me this is a wonderful combination.
My friend Joan from Foodalogue is going to Cuba this week on her virtual culinary tour and I am joining her with the Elena Ruz Cuban Sandwich.
Sandwich Elena Ruz ( Cuban Turkey Sandwich)
- 4 Cuban sweet sandwich rolls or any other sweet rolls
- 8 turkey breast slices
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- Slice each roll in half. Spread one slice of bread with cream cheese and spread the other slice with strawberries preserve. Top one of the slices with the turkey breast.
- Close the sandwich and place on hot large skillet. Press down with a heavy pot to flatten the sandwich. Heat it for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Slice the sandwich and serve.