This post is also available in Spanish
Soup season is here and I am celebrating with a simple soup that is very popular in Colombian homes. When I first made this soup a couple of months ago, I held back on posting it, being that it was the middle of summer. After all, who wants to eat l soup when it’s ninety degrees out?! Well, I do, but that’s beside the point, so I waited until fall was officially upon us.
There is nothing more soothing and comforting to me on a cold day than a bowl of warm soup. This Rice and Pork Ribs Soup is cozy, filling, rich and full of flavor!
The rice and vegetables makes this soup satisfying without being heavy. I love to serve it with avocado on the side and add a little lime juice for a zesty flavor! This Sopa de Arroz con Costilla is even better the next day, so be sure to make extra!
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup of aliños sauce (recipe here)
- 2 pounds pork ribs
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup rice
- ½ teaspoon color or achiote
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Avocado for serving
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot, except the rice and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour.
- Add the rice and continue simmering for 15- 20 minutes more or until the rice and ribs are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro and serve.