This post is also available in Spanish
I love recipes that make me feel warm and cozy and this Sopa de Lentejas con Plátano Verde (Green Plantain and Lentil Soup) definitely fits the bill. I‘ve made this soup a handful of times but have never managed to take a picture of it… until this week. So here it is, finally on the blog, my Sopa de Lentejas con Plátano Verde!
Hearty and healthy, this soup makes a superb lunch or dinner on a chilly day. And it keeps for many days in the fridge, becoming ever more and more tasty. I love how that this soup is both incredibly easy and satisfying all at once. True comfort food. I didn’t add meat to this lentil soup, but feel free to add diced pork or beef if you prefer.
If you are in need of a good bowl of soup to warm your soul this winter, this Green Plantain and Lentil Soup should serve you well.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable, chicken of beef
- 1 green plantain, peeled and diced
- 1 ¼ cup dried lentils
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Place the onion, garlic and scallions in a blender with 1/4 cup of water and blend.
- Place the plantains, lentils, onion mixture and broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender, but not mushy, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots and cumin, cook for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender, thin with water if necessary. Add fresh cilantro and serve.