Green Plantains with Guacamole, Crispy Fish Fillets and Mango Slaw
- 4 Gorton's Crispy Battered Fish Fillets
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 4 green plantains peeled
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- ½ head small green cabbage
- ¼ red onion
- ½ cup ripe mango peeled and diced
- ½ small jalapeño finely chopped and seeded
- ¼ cup diced fresh tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Prepare Gorton's Crispy Battered Fish Fillets according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the Fried Plantains: In a large sauce pan, add enough oil to cover the plantains and heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the plantains to the heated oil. Fry until they start to get yellow, but not golden, about 7 to 9 minutes per side. Carefully remove the plantains with a slotted spoon, and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Let the plantains cool for 3 minutes. Then, place the plantains on a piece of plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. With a flat pot cover, press the plantains well, flattening them to about ¼ inches thickness. It is best to do this while they are still warm.
- Then using tongs, add them back in the hot oil, two at the time, and fry for an additional 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the plantains with slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Sprinkle with salt, to taste, and transfer to a serving plate.
- To make the Slaw: Finely shred the cabbage and onion. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice and vinegar and whisk with a fork to blend. Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, onion, mango, jalapeuño, tomato and cilantro with the dressing.
- To assemble: Spread the guacamole on top of the fried plantains.
- Add the fish and top with the mango slaw. Serve immediately.
I am participating in a recipe challenge hosted by Gorton’s, in case you haven't noticed 😉 I am competing against seven other wonderful bloggers, where we each created a recipe incorporating Gorton’s Crispy Battered Fish Fillets.
I made Fried Green Plantains with Guacamole, Crispy Battered Fish Fillets and Mango Slaw. I need your help to WIN this competition! The recipe with the most votes wins, so your votes make all the difference.