This post is also available in Spanish
This is a sponsored post in collaboration with El Mejor Nido by Nestlé. The recipe, pictures and opinions are 100% my own!
It’s amazing how fast this year is moving! I can’t believe Easter is only a few days away. Every celebration in my family revolves around lots of great food and delicious drinks. So when I was invited to participate in a campaign with El Mejor Nido, I found the perfect excuse to make an easy and simple recipe, yet very special, Crackers and Sweet Condensed Milk Dessert. Sounds delicious, doesn’t it?
This is one of the desserts I miss most from my childhood, and not just for the taste. I would often have Crackers and Sweet Condensed Milk Dessert while at my grandmother’s house, which we would prepare together and I loved cooking with Mamita! Those times spent cooking together made for some wonderful memories.
I am always delighted when testing the layers of crackers blended into a delicious, creamy filling of sweet condensed milk with a delicate vanilla flavor and a coconut frosting. As an adult I occasionally let my culinary nostalgia create different versions of this easy-to-make dessert from my childhood. This time I thought it would be a good idea to decorate the frosting with grated coconut and chocolate eggs to celebrate Easter.
This is ideal for any party or while having a cup of tea with friends. You can leave it in the fridge for up to three days, as long as you keep it well covered. All you have to do is decorate it last minute and serve.
Tell us what you would like to make in the comment section below, using Nestle Sweet Condensed Milk and have a chance to win a gift card worth fifty dollars (US $ 50.00). This giveaway is open to US residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw and will be notified by e-mail. Giveaway ends April 8, 2015. Good luck!
The winner is Cristina comment #13. Congratulations!
- 1 can (14 oz) NESTLÉ Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 can (12 oz) CARNATION Evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (7.6 oz) NESTLÉ Media Crema, or 1 cup whipping cream
- 27 graham crackers or other square crackers of your choice
- 1 (15oz) can of coconut milk, chilled for 24 hours
- 4 tablespoons sugar or to your taste
For the frosting
- To prepare the filling, boil over medium heat the condensed milk, vanilla extract, reserving 3 tablespoons of evaporated milk to dissolve the cornstarch.
- In another bowl dissolve the cornstarch in the three tablespoons of evaporated milk and then add it to the boiling mixture. Stir constantly to mix well. About 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, quickly add the cream and stir again.
- In an 8 x 8 inches ovenproof pan put a layer of crackers and a layer of cream alternately. Repeat the process ending with a layer of cream. Refrigerate for 5 hours or until desired consistency.
- For the frosting, remove the lid of the can of coconut milk, Using a spoon carefully remove the layer of thick coconut cream that has spread to the top of the can, and transfer to a bowl. (Do not use the coconut water that has settled to the bottom of the can.)
- Whisk the coconut cream on medium speed for about 4 minutes, or until the cream forms soft peaks. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated.Spread on top of the dessert and garnish with grated coconut and chocolate eggs.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...