Colombian Cazuela de Mariscos is a thick soup almost a stew made with coconut milk, seafood and vegetables. It's a comforting and flavorful one pot dish perfect for a week night meal or a dinner party.
What’s in Colombian Cazuela de Mariscos?
The main ingredients in this dish are a seafood mixture, that’s totally your choice depending on your taste and budget. It can include any combination of clams, shrimp, mussels, oysters, squid and any firm white fish.
In addition to your choice of seafood, you’ll need butter, olive oil, bell pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, coconut milk, heavy cream, tomato paste, parsley or cilantro, and white wine. Any good white wine will work to make this recipe. Use a wine you’d like to drink, not one labeled as “cooking wine.”
Seafood Soup Recipe (Cazuela de Mariscos)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 tablet fish bouillon
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 can 13.5 oz coconut milk
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 12 littleneck clams scrubbed
- 2 pounds swordfish cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- In a large, saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil and butter.
- Add the onions, red pepper, garlic, green pepper and carrots and sauté, until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the cream, fish bouillon, coconut milk; bring to a boil. Add the seafood and cover, reduce heat and cook about 2 minutes until clams open. Remove from heat; discard any unopened shells.
- Add the wine and tomato paste, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and parsley and serve hot
Colombia is bordered by the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans, which provides the country with great seafood. This delicious creamy Cazuela de Mariscos is quick to cook and perfect for entertaining or as a weekend dinner dish for the whole family.
I love the combination of seafood and coconut milk, it is absolutely wonderful. This Cazuela de Mariscos is one of my favorite Colombian seafood dishes.
Simple and elegant seafood recipes: