Do you keep tuna cans in your pantry for quick meals like I do? If you don’t, you’ll have to get some to try this wonderful tuna balls recipe. They are amazing on a bed of pasta, tossed with pea pesto.
The pea pesto is delicious, and you won’t miss the basil, I promise. I served this fabulous Pasta with Tuna Balls with a green salad on the side. It is an easy and fabulous meal for the whole family.
- 2 (7-ounce) tuna cans, drained.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pound your favorite pasta
For the Tuna balls
Pea and Walnut Pesto
- To make the tuna balls:
- Place the tuna, onions, mustard, lime juice, eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and the bread crumbs into a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture into balls and set aside on a parchment lined pan. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the tuna balls and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- To make the Pea-Pesto:
- Pulse together the peas, Asiago, garlic and walnuts in a food processor. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the pasta:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the 2 Tbs. salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In a serving bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the cooking water with 2 cups of the pesto. Store the rest for another use. Add the drained pasta and toss to combine.
- Add as much of the remaining cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce. Serve with tuna ball on top.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...