Arepa Reina Pepiada (Arepa with Shredded Chicken and Avocado)
- 4 to 6 cooked arepas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup grated white onion
- 1 /4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and dice, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce optional
- Salt and black pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked and shredded chicken, scallions, white onion, red bell pepper, garlic and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, avocado, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Add to the chicken and mix gently until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble: Place the arepas on a serving plate, top with the chicken and avocado mixture. Add some avocado on top and sprinkle cilantro or parsley . Serve immediately.
Have I told you about my love affair with Arepas? I could live on arepas alone. I never get tired of them!
Today I want to share a delicious arepa with you that is popular in Venezuela. Reina Pepiada is basically an arepa, or corn cake, stuffed with a mixture of shredded chicken, mayonnaise and avocado.
I made my Colombian version, making a thinner arepa and placing the mixture on top, as we do in Colombia, rather than a thicker stuffed arepa, as is traditional in Venezuela. Either way, it is a fantastic arepa dish, with a wonderful combination of flavors.
Thank you Venezuela for this fantastic traditional arepa dish!
wow looks delicious and great snap with the pretty place mat
You can't go wrong with a simple yet tasty arepa topping like this! I could live off of arepas also 🙂
Thanks to you I too love arepas and my family enjoys them often. I have made these before, one of our favorites. BTW - The Columbian restaurant I just found is amazing and I love there Arepas. I tried some at a Venezuelan restaurant that were not as good!
Put avocado on just about anything and I am putty in your hands 🙂
Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
i think these are my favorite of your arepas yet, erica! LOVE that avocado!
Amy (Savory Moments)
I love avocados so much. This recipe looks so delicious and very fresh!
Wow, that is just, just.....chickenlicious! I am absolutely going to make this for Alexis. What a great way to use grilled chicken!!!!
Just finish this arepa and it was fantastic. great arepa recipe.thanks.
So good!! Made these last week and had to go back and make them again today 🙂 LOVE your recipes - my husband is from Colombia (and I am from here) and he loves what I make from your recipes! They turn out so much better than how my mother in law tells me because in her mind a "cup" of something is a lot more than what it is in my mind!