Arepa Reina Pepiada (Arepa with Shredded Chicken and Avocado)
- 4 to 6 cooked arepas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup grated white onion
- 1 /4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and dice, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce optional
- Salt and black pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked and shredded chicken, scallions, white onion, red bell pepper, garlic and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, avocado, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Add to the chicken and mix gently until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble: Place the arepas on a serving plate, top with the chicken and avocado mixture. Add some avocado on top and sprinkle cilantro or parsley . Serve immediately.
Have I told you about my love affair with Arepas? I could live on arepas alone. I never get tired of them!
Today I want to share a delicious arepa with you that is popular in Venezuela. Reina Pepiada is basically an arepa, or corn cake, stuffed with a mixture of shredded chicken, mayonnaise and avocado.
I made my Colombian version, making a thinner arepa and placing the mixture on top, as we do in Colombia, rather than a thicker stuffed arepa, as is traditional in Venezuela. Either way, it is a fantastic arepa dish, with a wonderful combination of flavors.
Thank you Venezuela for this fantastic traditional arepa dish!