As a good Colombian, I love coffee and I have to drink it every morning to start my day. So, I made this coffee flan and I hope everybody loves the recipe as much as I did. Enjoy!
Coffee Flan (Flan de café)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- Chocolate sprinkles for serving
- To prepare the caramel, put 1 cup of sugar in a small pot with ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and reduce the heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes or until the syrup turns a caramel color.
- Immediately pour an equal amount of the caramel into each ramekin or any oven proof mold you want to use. Swirl each dish to coat the base with the caramel. Work fast as the caramel will harden quickly as it cools. Place all the ramekins in a large roasting pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Add the eggs, egg yolks and 1 ½ tablespoon sugar to the blender and mix for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the condensed milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, coffee and vanilla extract and blend for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour an equal amount of the flan mixture into the caramelized ramekins in the roasting pan. Then add hot water to the roasting pan, not to the ramekins, until the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove from the roasting pan and cool for at least 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully run a knife around the edge of the ramekin, cover with a serving plate, flip it over and gently remove the ramekin allowing the caramel run over the sides and add chocolate sprinkles on top.
Calories: 352kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 6gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 62mgPotassium: 141mgFiber: 1gSugar: 37gVitamin A: 829IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 55mgIron: 1mg
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
that looks amazing send me some pretty please!
Flan is one of my favorite desserts and a coffee one is just about perfect!
yumm yumm.. just the perfect one for my dessert and specially with coffee 🙂 nice photography erica. keep it up!!
I'm looking forward to making my 1st flan! Is a 9.75inch flute pan a good size for this recipe?
Yes! this flan looks like a perfect way to get your caffeine in for the day!! The rich, deep coffe flavour must go so elegantly with the sweet custard. Great job!
I like coffee flavor in desserts...coffee ice cream is my favorite...so I'm thinking this must be delicious. very clever.
I am drooling on this one. I love flans of any kind, & love coffee! smackin' my lips here...
Thank you all for the nice comments!
Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
Coffee flavored flan looks and sounds amazing!
Coffee is one of my favorite flavors and this sounds just great in a nice cool and creamy flan. Yum!
I'm convinced that you should write a cookbook 😉
Thank you so much for your kind comment!!!!!!
MMMMM....Your coffee flan looks so decadently rich & fabulous!!! What an excellent recipe!!
Wowowow coffe and caramel in a flan... it must be amazing! 🙂
yum yum, I love flan, whichever is the flavour; I have never tried with coffee though, looks tempting!
My Father in law is a coffe lover, his brithday is coming up and I wanted to make something for him, he is American and normally tries my colombian food. I was wondering if you can do this flan as a whole piece or if you have to do it in small portions? I don't want to make the 6 servings and would like to know how much of the ingredients I need. Can you help me please?
They will have some people coming over and I wanted to make something that they haven't really tried and that they would love! I wasn't sure what to make like an appetizer, I thought about the Russian salad because is not too complicated, I have seen it with chicken and eggs. Can you recommend me something? I appreciate it and thank you in advance!
Dayana- You can use a large baking dish to make a single serving and use the same ingredients, If you want to make it bigger, just double the ingredients.
The Russian salad is an amazing and easy dish. You can make it earlier and place in the refrigerator. If you want to add cooked eggs is a good idea. If you have more questions, let me know 🙂
I forgot to put my email in the last post. Thank you again.
Yes! Thank you Erica, I thought about it but I wanted to make sure I could do it, I don't have to much experience in the kitchen and I didn't want to make it and maybe it would like fall apart? I know now, thank you so much!
Please felons the secret to getting the bubbles out of the flan before it bakes!!! I made this recipe and found that had bubble holes in the custard.
try pouring the custard through a strainer into your baking pan
No kidding; this is a great flan recipe. I have made it 5 times now and each time it is a party at my house!
Flan reminds me so much of when I was little in Colombia and it reminds me of my grandmother who made the perfect flan and would often treat me with one.
I am trying your flan recipe today. After I saw the picture I could not wait and I made it. I will let you know how it came.
Thank you for sharing.
thank you erica for this recipe its really tasty and i used this recipe for a colombian assignment/project and everyone love it!!❤️❤️