I love risotto but sometimes I don’t have the patience to stand in front of the stove stirring for such a long time, as is required, which is why I created this recipe. This week I was craving asparagus risotto, but I was too hungry to wait for a risotto to be cooked, so I used orzo pasta instead. It was easy and absolutely delicious. Here it is, Asparagus Orzo, and of course I made it vegetarian so my husband could eat it too and he just loved it.
- 1 pound thin asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Ground black pepper
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Add the asparagus and salt. Cook the asparagus for 1 minute. Drain the asparagus and save the cooking water for later use.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water and the reserved asparagus water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite. Drain the pasta.
- Cut the asparagus into 1 ½ inches piece and add to the blender and save the tips for later use.
- Add the garlic cloves, heavy cream, salt and pepper to the blender and blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan add the orzo, asparagus mixture and parmesan cheese. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus tips, stir gently and serve warm with parmesan cheese on top.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...