I’ve been on a lentils kick lately, I can’t get enough of them. They are healthy, versatile, and so tasty. They are the perfect comfort food.
This can be a meal for the entire family, or just you alone, and the leftovers are great too. I ate them the next day while sitting on my couch watching an episode of one of my favorite shows. This dish is simple, but very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground achiote
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 7 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 pound dry lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and diced
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, tomato, garlic, cumin, salt and achiote. Cook, stirring for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, carrots and plantain, reduce the heat to medium low, cover partially and cook until the lentils are soft about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped cilantro and serve with white rice and avocado.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...