This vegetarian ceviche is made with hearts of palm and It's easy to make. This refreshing ceviche can be served as an appetizer, side dish or even on top of grilled fish.
Ceviche, also known as cebiche or seviche, is a popular Latin American dish. Ceviche is usually made with raw fish that is marinated in citrus juice, such as orange, lemon or lime. Ceviche is one of my favorite spring and summer dishes.
Ceviche Vegetariano (Vegetable Ceviche)
- 2 cups sliced hearts of palm
- 1 12 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts drained and cut into pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
- Juice of 8 limes
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- ½ small Serrano pepper optional
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the red onions with warm water and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, rinse and drain.
- Mix the sliced onions, lime juice, vinegar and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and let rest for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Serve with plantain chips or patacones.
We have many different variations of ceviche in Colombia, such as Ceviche de Pulpo (Octopus Ceviche), Ceviche de Camarones (Shrimp Ceviche), Ceviche de Pescado (Fish Ceviche), Ceviche de Camarón con Coco (Coconut Shrimp Ceviche) and Ceviche de Camarones y Mango (Shrimp and Mango Ceviche).
Most ceviches are made with seafood, but there are some exceptions and this ceviche vegetariano (meatless ceviche) is one of them. It’s made with artichokes, hearts of palm, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, red pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper. It’s light, refreshing and full of flavor, just like the seafood ceviches, yet completely meatless.
Colombian-style ceviches are usually served with saltine crackers, plátanitos (plantain chips) or patacones (fried green plantain).
Hi, This looks really good and I want to try it. It looks like there are fresh and probably seeded tomatoes in it as well. I don't see them listed in the ingredients.
Thanks!!!..... I fixed it. I forgot to add the tomatoes to the list.
I knew I recognized hearts of Palm in the ceviche 🙂 I really enjoy hearts of palm but many Americans are unfamiliar with them- This looks really good!
Looks completely delicious and healthy!
Amazing post! The way to presented the recipe is excellent. It's very easy to understand the steps. The dish looks completely healthy! Keep posting 🙂
H aha vegetable ceviche, love it and how unusual. Actually looks just as good as with seafood!
this is just beautiful, erica! i love the colors and i'm sure it's very refreshing to consume!
Just made this and it was a hit!