Chuyaco is a traditional Colombian salad made with orange and scallions. This salad is refreshing and simple.
If you're looking for salad recipe for Memorial Day weekend, try Chuyaco, a traditional orange salad from the department of El Valle del Cauca in Colombia. This orange salad is a perfect appetizer to start your meal, or a side dish for grilled meats and seafood. Eat it as is or with a light meal, either way, it' s satisfying and tasty!
What is Chuyaco?
It is a salad very easy to make, absolutely delicious and healthy. Fresh oranges mixed with a dressing made of orange juice, panela, scallions and chili pepper. It's fresh, sweet and tangy with a little kick from the hot pepper.
This Colombian Style Orange Salad is a wonderful addition to any picnic or barbecue table.
Chuyaco Recipe (Colombian Orange Salad)
- 12 oranges peeled
- 3 tablespoons of grated panela or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups orange juice
- ½ cup chopped scallions green part only
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper chopped (habanero or bonnet)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the white parts from the oranges. Slice the oranges crosswise into rounds ¼-inch thick or cut along both sides of each membrane with a paring knife to remove the segments, allowing them to drop into the bowl. Discard any seeds. Place in a serving bowl.
- In a medium l bowl, combine the water with brown sugar or panela mix well until the sugar dissolves. Add the orange juice, scallions, hot pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the oranges mix well and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve cold.
I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! If you are serving this recipe and want some ideas of main dishes that I like to serve with it, Here are some of my favorite main dishes.