Hervido Llanero is a traditional Colombian soup. This is a hearty, flavorful and filling dish.
Sancochos, or Hervidos, are hearty soups that contain many ingredients. There are different variations of the dish depending on the zone of the country, and some of them have the same names, yet have different ingredients. In the zone of Los llanos, Colombia, Sancocho is called Hervido, and here is my recipe for Hervido de Pollo.
Hervido Llanero de Pollo Recipe
- 12 chicken pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote
- 8 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 green plantains peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 pound of cassava or yuca cut into pieces
- 2 cups butternut squash or pumpkin cut into pieces
- 1 large carrot sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, scallions, cumin, achiote and 3 tablespoons of water in the blender.
- Place the chicken broth or water in a large pot, add the onion mixture, chicken pieces and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes.
- Add the chopped potatoes, yuca, plantains and pumpkin and cook for 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the chopped cilantro and serve with avocado slices and hot sauce or aji.
I love my soups, especially traditional Colombian soups. Colombian cuisine has a vast repertoire of incredibly tasty, filling, and comforting soups. This is not a fancy soup, but it is absolutely delicious and a perfect dish if you want to taste the flavors of Colombian cuisine.
More Comforting Soups to Try