Split Pea and Chicken Soup
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 5 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the peas in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and scallions. Cook stirring, until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add the drained peas, salt, pepper, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, the ground cumin and paprika. Cook stirring occasionally for 30 minutes, add the potatoes and cilantro. Cook for 30 more minutes or until the peas are tender, about 1 hour. (Add more water or chicken stock as needed if the soup becomes too thick.)
- Remove the skin and debone it, breaking the meat into bite sized pieces, and return the meat to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This soup was one of the recipes I made for my sister, Catalina, when she came to visit a couple of weeks ago. We hated soups as kids yet my mom loved to make them, so we had are daily lunch time soup battles with my mother :). Now we love soups, so I made this delicious split pea and chicken soup for her. She appreciated every one of the dishes I cooked, so it was a pleasure to feed her and have her staying in my home. Usually this soup is thicker, but this time I wanted to make it thinner and it was delicious.
Realmente es apetitosa y la fotografía te ha quedado Fabulosa.
I can smell autumn!
Gera @ SweetsFoods
A very satisfying soup..ideal for these cold days here 🙂
Oh my, I love split pea soup and this looks like heaven!
Thank you all for the comments!
Can you make anything that I won't like? gorgeous 🙂
you so deserve this award oh and the waitress in Davids cafe in Miami was Columbian I wrote down your blog for her lol
This soup looks delicious... love the flavor combo and it's perfect for our cooler weather!
Oh this soup sounds great!
Thank you everyone for visiting my blog 🙂
Now that's a combination I never would have come up with on my own. I make soup every Sunday for home and for my husband to take to work and I'm going to give this a go.
Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
The split pea soup looks and sounds just wonderful!
Love it!!! I completely and totally LOVE soup...this one looks fabulous 😀
MMMM, voy a hacer esta sopita, que me parece perfecta para el frio.
Saludos de Alemania.
Looks delish. Will give it a try! 🙂
Chicken Soup is one of my favorite dishes of all time. it is very tasty and the ingredients are very available. sometimes i put a dash of chili over my chicken soup because i like it spicy hot.
After searching online for a dish involving chicken and split peas (which was what I had at home), I found your recipe and I made this in Melbourne, Australia last week. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.