Huevos Rancheros (Rancheros Eggs)
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 organic eggs fried sunny side up
- ½ cup queso fresco crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 cans 15oz red kidney beans
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves fine chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- !/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeuño pepper
- Salt to your taste
- To make the beans: In a pot add olive oil and onion over medium heat. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the beans, cumin and stock. Cook about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a fork or potato masher and mash the beans. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the salsa: Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process.
- Place the mixture in a pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salsa is thickened, about 12 minutes.
- To assemble: Place 1 warm tortilla on each plate. Divide the beans among them, then top with a fried egg, some salsa and queso fresco. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Have you ever tried Huevos Rancheros? I realize that they are only eggs, but wow are these eggs good! This was one of the most satisfying breakfasts that I've made in a long time. Rich, spicy, beautiful colors, absolutely delicious. Thanks to Mexico for all the wonderful food!
I enjoyed this dish very much. The eggs, still a little runny, have a creamy texture that complements the beans well. The cilantro is very aromatic, and these elements, together with the excellent tomato salsa and queso fresco on top, make for a fantastic dish for breakfast or even dinner. Huevos Rancheros is a wonderful meatless dish. Enjoy it!
I love huevos rancheros! They're so good and always seem really fancy for a meal. I've never tried them with kidney beans though I bet that tastes great. We've a friend in SF who makes huevos rancheros as his signature dish. He serves champagne with them, if you can believe it!
wow this does look like an amazing breakfast
One of the best breakfasts...and that egg is perfect.
Ese huevito esta oerfecto.
YUM! This looks like a PERFECT brunch!
Sounds ecellent! I really like the recipes for the beans and salsa. But if I were making this, I'd reduce the amount of beans per serving, and add some cooked diced chorizo (or crumbled, if using bulk chorizo) to each one.
Thanks for all the great recipes!
I've actually never had huevos rancheros and that seems like a serious mistake now. What a colorful way to eat breakfast!
I love these for breakfast, lunch or dinner, they are just that wonderful! Look at that perfectly cooked egg!
This is the only way that i will eat eggs! Love them! Yours are perfectly cooked.
this is one of my favorite breakfasts, erica! i love the shot of your luscious oozy egg. 🙂