This post is also available in Spanish
Do you remember my Colombian-style roasted chicken legs ? If not, don’t worry, here’s the recipe. Well, here is another variation of roasted chicken that we have in Colombia and this time I used a whole chicken. The skin was crispy and flavourful. It is a beautiful Pollo Asado, don’t you think? Although I am sure my vegetarian husband wouldn’t agree with me 😉
The aromas of chicken, beer, onion and spices together were fantastic and the house smelled delicious! Remember, it is important to let the chicken marinate overnight for better flavor.
I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 whole chicken (about 5 pounds)
- 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beer
- In a food processor, place the scallions, garlic, cilantro, thyme, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Process to a paste.
- Place the chicken in a large plastic bowl, brush with the vegetable oil and add the marinade evenly.
- Tie the chicken legs with kitchen string and refrigerate the chicken overnight.
- The next day when you are ready to roast the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan and add the beer. Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the chicken juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and place on a plate. Cover with aluminium foil and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite potatoes.