If making empanada dough from scratch intimidates you, don't let it! Homemade empanada dough requires only a handful of ingredients, flour, salt, egg, cold water and butter, and it comes together in under ten minutes!
Simple Empanada Dough for Baking
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs Divided, one egg to seal the empnadas
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- Mix the flour and salt in the processor.
- Add butter, egg and cold water to the flour mixture. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap dough with plastic. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a thin sheet and cut out discs using a large biscuit cutter.
- Brush the edges of the empanada discs with the beaten egg to help better seal them.
- Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges with a fork or your fingers. Brush the top of the empanadas with the rest of the beaten egg. Chill the empanadas for about 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
I love using my food processor for my homemade dough because it is quicker and easier than making it using your hands. If you don't own a food processor or just prefer making it by hand, feel free. Follow the same directions, but use your hands instead of the food processor to mix the ingredients together. This empanada dough can also be prepared ahead of time, just seal tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
A good empanada is all about the crust for me. Learn how to make it, then choose from one of my delicious fillings:
S’mores Empanadas (See recipe here)
Guava Paste and Cheese Empanadas (See recipe here)
Dulce de Leche and Apple Empanadas (See recipe here)
Chicken, Mushrooms and Cheese Empanadas (See recipe here)