Simple Tomato Sauce
- 4 28oz cans whole tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 oz basil leaves
- Place the tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, oregano and sugar. Cook for about 15 minutes, then using a potato masher, press them gently.
- Reduce the heat to medium- low and add the garlic. Simmer for about 1 hour, then using the masher again, press until obtain the consistency desired.
- Add the basil and olive oil and continue simmering for about 1 ½ hour more.
- Serve with your favorite pasta.
Pasta with Tomato sauce is a classic dish and I think that everyone should have a good tomato sauce recipe. This one is simple and easy to make and is delicious!
Growing up in Colombia, the only tomato sauce that I had was from a jar, so when I met my husband, whose grandmothers were Italian, I realized that I needed to make a homemade tomato sauce for him. He can pretty much eat pasta with tomato sauce every day and be happy!
One day when we first met, I wanted to surprise him with a nice Italian dinner, so I made a delicious tomato sauce, so I thought. As he began eating it, he made a strange face and asked me what I put in the sauce? I told him the list of ingredients... tomatoes, garlic, cilantro... "Cilantro?!" he said. "No wonder why it tastes like salsa. You don't put cilantro in tomato sauce!" He has been making fun of me for that ever since.
It is so normal for me to add cilantro to every dish, that I though it was going to be delicious. What he doesn't know is that I forgot to add cumin 😉 Anyway, after that Colombian-Italian tomato suace, I made a variety of different tomato sauce recipes until I came out with this one just recently and he said that this is the best tomato sauce that he has ever had. Enjoy!