In the United States, we think of hot soup as a winter dish, but in Colombia we eat soups all year round in every region of the country. We always welcome a good bowl of soup and this carrot soup is delicious and easy to make.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 Large carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablet chicken or vegetable bouillon
5 ½ cups water
1 large white potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
Salt and pepper
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic and cumin and cook stirring for about 1 minute. Add the water, chicken or vegetable bouillon,potatoes, salt and pepper to your taste.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the vegetables are tender about 30 minutes.
4. Add the cilantro and transfer the soup to a blender and pureé until smooth working in batches if necessary.
5. Return the soup to the pot and cook over medium low heat, stirring once and season to taste.
6. Laddle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro.