This post is also available in Spanish
I never tire of eating soups. Growing up I hated it them, but now they’re comfort food for me and remind me of my culture. Soups are a Colombian kitchen staple and each region has its own variations. This Sopa de Plátano verde is a simple, but delicious traditional Colombian soup.
3 large green plantains, peeled and sliced into small chunks
2 beef bouillon cubes
8 cups water
½ cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup scallion, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin powder
2 tablespoons cilantro for garnish
- Place the onion, garlic, scallions and water in a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Place the water mixture and beef bouillon in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes or until the plantains are tender.
- Take half of the soup and transfer to a blender and purée. Add the purée soup back to the pot, stir and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Divide the soup in bowls and sprinkle cilantro on top. Serve with avocado and aji.