Making Dulce de Leche from scratch is a lot easier than you might think. In Colombia we have 2 different ways to make it.
Arequipe, which is from my hometown of Antioquia and is made with milk, sugar and cinnamon. And, Manjar Blanco, which is from Del Valle region and is made with milk, soaked rice, sugar and raisins.
- 1/4 cup rice
- 10 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Place the rice with some water in a bowl and set aside for 2 days. Rinse and drain the rice.
- Place the soaked rice in a food processor or blender with 1 cup of whole milk.
- In a medium pot, place the rice and milk mixture, the rest of milk, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring often with a wooden spoon for about 3 hours or until the color changes to caramel and the mixture is thick as a pudding. Add the raisins and let it cool.
- Pour into a glass container and cover. Refrigerate up to a week.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...