Delicious layers of pasta with a creamy white sauce, then layered with a colorful combination of roasted red bell peppers, onions, green peppers, zucchini slices, and wonderful homemade tomato sauce. Finally, a delicious combination of melted mozzarella and asiago cheese rounds up the flavor of this beautiful meatless lasagna!
(About 10-12 servings)
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 green zucchini, sliced
- 3 large red bell peppers, sliced
- 3 green peppers, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Handful of fresh thyme
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 pound whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups grated Asiago cheese
- Put the vegetables in a baking dish lined with baking paper to prevent them from sticking. Drizzle with olive oil and add the garlic and thyme, season with salt and pepper.
- Use your hands to mix well then, roast for 20-30 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Drain again and lay the noodles on a baking sheet and cover with a wet towel.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to just below a boil. In another saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Stir the flour into the butter and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the hot milk.
- Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring, until thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and add the nutmeg. Remove the sauce from the heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared dish with a layer of the noodles.
- Spoon one-third of the tomato sauce over the noodles. Top with one-third of the roasted vegetables and then with one-third of the white sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella and asiago cheese evenly over the white sauce. Repeat the layering twice.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, about 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...