This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Nabisco and Latina Bloggers Connect.
With El Día del Niño (Children’s Day) approaching, I want to share a very simple and crowd-pleasing recipe for the whole family to enjoy on this celebration. I was inspired to make this dish by an Avocado Queso Topper recipe I found on Nabisco’s website. Not only are these bites bright and light, they are also quick and easy to prepare, which is perfect for warmer days, when we don’t want to add even more heat to the kitchen. Buttery Ritz crackers topped with creamy avocado and garlic flavored shrimp! I love the combination of flavors an textures on these little bites.
This dish has enough visual appeal to be a star at a fancy shower or tea party, while still being simple enough to assemble so that it can be made at a moment’s notice for your family’s merienda or after-school snack. Ritz crackers make the perfect platform on which to serve the guacamole and shrimp, and the ability to pick them up and eat them without needing a plate or utensil is a huge benefit for any hostess!
If you are not familiar with El Día del Niño or the Children’s Day holiday, this is the day when children are honored and some organizations and schools even have special events and gifts for the kids. It was first proclaimed by the World Conference for the Well-being of Children in 1925 to bring awareness to children around the globe that live with violence, exploitation and discrimination.
The officially recognized date of El Día del Niño (Children’s Day) varies from country to country. For example, in Colombia this day is celebrated on the last Saturday of April, in Mexico it’s April 30th, Spain, the second Sunday of May, and the United States on the second Sunday of June. Every country has its own unique way in which to celebrate this wonderful holiday.
I hope you enjoy my Avocado and Shrimp Bites recipe! Buen provecho!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Nabisco. The opinions and text are all mine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ripe small avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 24 traditional or Reduced Fat RITZ Crackers
- 1/4 cup grated queso fresco
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is tender but not browned.
- Increase heat to medium and add shrimp and sauté, turning the shrimp once with tongs, until shrimp are just cooked through, about 2 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Mash the avocado and mix with the lime juice and cilantro in a bowl. Season with salt.
- To assemble: Spread avocado mixture on the Ritz crackers. Top with shrimp and cheese.