Baked Plantains with Bacon and Cheese (Platanos Asados con Tocineta y Queso)
- 4 ripe plantains whole
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 thick slices of queso blanco or mozzarella
- 4 bacon strips
- Chimichurri or cilantro pesto to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°, cut the ends of the plantains and peel.
- Place them in a baking dish and brush with the butter, bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and slice the plantains lengthwise but not all the way through, stuff them with cheese slices and wrap with bacon.
- Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes until the cheese melts and the bacon is cooked.
I love plantains and this appetizer is one of my favorites. It is very easy to make and it is absolutely delicious. The sweetness of the ripe plantains is the perfect foil for smoked bacon and the fresh flavor of chimichurri. For this dish you need to use very ripe plantains.