Beans are an important part of the Colombian diet, providing plenty of protein, while making for delicious and comforting dishes. Colombians use beans to make a variety of dishes including stews, soups, fritters, cakes, salads, rice dishes, and more!
This Black and White Bean Salad couldn’t be easier to make and includes many of the flavors I love in a salad. Beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cucumber, and to spice it up, some red onion. The creaminess of the white beans adds a sublime texture. I thought a sprinkling of cumin powder would work well against the lime dressing, while the cilantro added a beautiful fresh taste perfectly rounding out the dish.
You can make this salad with most types of beans, such a pinto, fava, chickpeas, and red-eye and black-eye peas. I used canned beans this time, but you can use dried beans and cook them yourself, if you prefer. I like to use a mixture of black and white beans for a good contrast of flavors and colors. The salad is a true feast for all the senses, vibrant colors, wonderful textures and a burst of incredible flavors.
What I love most about this salad is its versatility. It can be made using several varieties of beans and vegetables, and can be prepared ahead of time, providing its not tossed until just before serving. If it is, the cucumber will lose its crunch!
I am participating in a recipe contest and need your support. Please click here to vote for me! Thank you!
(6 to 8 servings)
- 2 cans (each 15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (each 15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the black and white beans, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño and cucumber. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat evenly. Serve at room temperature.