This spinach cake is a wonderful way to eat spinach. This cake is perfect to served as a side dish to any protein or just as a meatless main dish for the whole family.
Spinach Cake (Torta de Espinacas)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 11/4 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 oz frozen spinach thawed
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk often until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk gradually and continue whisking often until the sauce is smooth and thick, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the spinach and garlic in a blender and add the white sauce(bechamel sauce). Blend until smooth.
- Place the spinach mixture in a plastic container and add the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix the parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Pour the spinach mixture in a baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs and parmesan mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake is done.
This spinach cake is really simple and delicious. I have a weird relationship with spinach, sometimes I hate it and sometimes and I just can't get enough of it. It all depends on how it's prepared.
One of the ways I love to eat spinach is when it's in this Spinach Cake :-)This is a great vegetarian side dish. Enjoy it!
spinach cake looks rich and delicious with the crispy crust! miam, miam, makes me hungry !!!
That sounds delicious...I love spinach so I will have to try this one.
I would love to try that yummy and healthy cake!!!
Spinach cake looks awesome ..Nice recipe..
I really like spinach, Erica. And make a souffle often. This recipe looks delicious.. I love the touch of nutmeg. It really works with spinach.
This looks really delicious! I've been trying to make more vegetarian dishes lately, this fits right into my plans.
Thank you everyone 🙂
I like spinach in salads or when you use the frozen spinach like you did. But can't stand the taste of sauteed spinach when it get wilted and mushy. This cake remind me of bolinho de mandioca actually we do it sometimes with carrot too. Looks yummy Erica. 😀
Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes
Oh wow, this cake looks very appetizing to me. I would've never thought to make cake with spinach in it but looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing!
Great, great great!!! Love spanich, love the look and sound of this!!
Baking is my Zen
Love spinach. I may try this.
I love spinach all the time 🙂 This is something real different - haven't seen it before. Looks good!
Thank you all for the comments!
Yum Yum And More Yum!
marvelous! i've never seen spinach prepared like this and i would love every bite! the color is wonderful and the cake form is fun. great recipe. 🙂
What a great recipe! I can't wait to try it! Thankyou once again for opening new horizons in my cooking repertoire!
My wife and I both love spinach and I know we are going to love this one. I've bookmarked this to try.
Looks good. I love spinach - any way it's prepared.
Thank you 🙂
Wow, this spinach cake looks yummie...great way to have spinach 🙂
I to have a love / hate thing going on with spinach. I've discovered that I like most things that contain fresh spinach. This looks wonderfully delish!
This looks great. Love spinach.
I love spinach and I think this sounds fantastic! I bet your husband loves it!
I am always looking for ideas and this I can make for my vegetarian clients.
I have never seen spinach prepared like this before but I have to say - I love it! That green is just gorgeous.
I love spinach so I'm excited to try this! I love the delicious golden crust!
This looks amazingly good!
Perfect timing - I just got a huge batch of spinach from our CSA and this dish looks amazing.
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments!