Sautéed Cabbage with Carrots and Coconut
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 shredded carrots
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Place oil, red pepper flakes, scallions, garlic, red bell pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, carrots, salt, pepper and sautué for about 2 minutes. Add broth and cook, covered, until cabbage is cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add ground cumin, coconut and cook, uncovered, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated and cabbage is tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
I have a strange relationship with cabbage. I either love it or hate it, depending on how it's prepared. If it's cooked in a soup and it's kind of mushy, the smell and texture really makes me sick. But I love it in salads or sauteed. My husband loves cabbage and I am always making vegetarian dishes for him, many of which I will not eat 😉
I made this Sautéed Cabbage with Carrots and Coconut about a month ago and it was simple, but delicious. It makes an easy and wonderful side dish with your favorite meat, poultry, or fish, or vegetarian main entree.Salt and pepper½ teaspoon ground cumin½ cup shredded coconut