Pasta with Walnuts and Vegetable Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup of walnuts toasted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheeseu2028
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne or other tubular pasta
- Make the sauce: Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. In a large fry pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the corn and peas and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and cream cheese, stirring it with a wooden spoon. Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally.Remove from the heat and stir in the Asiago cheese, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, add salt and pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions.
- Drain, reserving about ¼ cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the sauce along with the walnuts and stir to combine. Add the reserved cooking water, stir, and warm over low heat.
Do you understand what I mean when I say this pasta dish tastes like the brightest spring day? The flavors are strong and bright, despite the simple ingredients, and the fact that you can make the whole dish really fast, makes this taste even better. Great meatless main dish and weeknight meal!