Pasta with mushroom and cheese sauce is easy to make and delicious. You can change the gorgonzola cheese for parmesan or mozzarella if you prefer.
Pasta with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce
- 1 pound pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese divided
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of gorgonzola cheese and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Stir well and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Add the pasta to the mushroom sauce, stirring well, and cook until the pasta is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining gorgonzola cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.
If you are a regular reader, you know that my American husband is a vegetarian* and I am a Colombian girl who loves all kinds of meats 😉 So, every day I have to think about a dish that we all can eat and be a happy family. That is how this Pasta with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola Cheese was born. Simple and delicious dish!
Perfect for a weeknight dinner with bread and a salad on the side.
* Actually, I learned that Gorgonzola is not a vegetarian cheese. See comments below on May 24th. Sorry for my ignorance and I meant no offense.