Plain white rice is eaten by most people in Colombia every day, but for entertaining, a more interesting rice dish is often served, such as this one.
This Red pepper and Tomato Rice dish is the perfect accompaniment to your favorite grilled meat or poultry.
(4 – 6 Servings)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped white onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
2 cups long-grain rice
1 vegetable bouillon tablet
1 cup tomato purée
4 cups water
- Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add the onions, garlic and red bell pepper and cook until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir with a wooden spoon to coat well, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the water, vegetable bouillon, tomato puree and salt. Bring to a boil, stir and decrease the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.