This post is also available in Spanish
Today’s recipe is exactly what I’ve been craving lately… a comforting Colombian soup. I’ve made this soup twice now, and it’s the perfect recipe when you have a cold, like me.
This traditional soup, from Del Valle del Cauca in Colombia, is known as Caldo Batido, literally translated to ” Blended Broth” or Caldo de Enfermo, “Sick Person’s Broth”. It is a simple and comforting soup made with ground beef, water, cumin, parsley and hogao.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup hogao
- 1 potato, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Place the beef and water in the blender and blend for about 2 minutes.
- Place the beef mixture in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the potatoes, hogao, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley and serve immediately.