Cazuela de Camarones con Champiñones (Shrimp and Mushroom Casserole)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 4 oz portobello mushrooms diced
- 11/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine optional
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese divided
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled, deveined and cut crosswise into thirds
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan, stir to combine, and cook the roux, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk the milk into the saucepan. Season the sauce with the salt, pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until sauce is thick and smooth and any floury taste is gone, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, heavy cream, mustard, cumin and paprika. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes more. Turn off the heat, add the shrimp and1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Gently stir until cheese is melted and shrimp is beginning to turn pink. Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
- Place the mixture into 4 individual gratin dishes. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the caseroles are browned on the top. Serve warm.
I've been thinking about making this Shrimp and Mushroom Casserole for days. My sister mentioned it to me while she was visiting a couple of months ago. She had it while she was living in Cartagena and said it was delicious.
I hadn't made it before, but the list of ingredients made my mouth water... shrimp, mushrooms, white sauce, cheese and white wine. This casserole is rich, creamy and delicious. The top is crunchy and when baked, it turns a gorgeous shade of golden brown. Serve warm with a piece of crusty bread on the side.
I suggest that you bookmark this recipe right now 😉
Think I will have to bookmark this!
shrimp and mushroom anything HAS to be delicious- I love this!
Me hiciste la boca agua, se ve delicioso.
wow my mouth is watering so bad right now!!! Too bad hubby refuses to eat shrimp or mushrooms 🙁 Next time he is out of town I am going to make this! Thanks for sharing
Wow, this looks amazing! I actually recently bought mushrooms at the store but I used them up for last night's dinner -- I will pick up some more soon to make this delicious meal!
Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog
Shrimp and mushrooms what an awesome combination creamy and delicious - bookmarked there too 😉
Have a great week!
Oh YUM! Look at that crunchy top! This is really a super recipe, Erica! I'm copying it right now!
Erica esto se ve absolutamente delicioso, me fascinan los camarones, y que linda tu cacerolita (lovely) xx gloria
Oh wow!!! this looks wonderful!!! gotta try this...
Me gusta la combinacion. Que delicia!
You are right it looks and sounds mouthwatering! I like it in individuals dishes! Bookmarked!
5 Star Foodie
Wow, what a terrific casserole! A yummy combination with mushrooms and shrimp! I love the crunchy top!
Shrimp and mushroom casserole, with all this incredible exposure to Columbian food I may need to move there. What a treat!
Baking is my Zen
Looks fabulous. I've printed the recipe!
2 of my very favorite things are in here! i like the way you spice it up to add flavors .
Wow, Wow, Wow, Love shrimp!, you are right, definitely have to bookmark this one!
Christine @ Fresh Local and Best
This casserole resembles a pot pie with shrimp. It looks so comforting and good!
My husband saw this tonight. now he wants it for this Sunday. Can I use any cheese?
Thank you 🙂
I'm making this over the weekend ... no doubt about it! Too creamy and cheesy and mushroomy to resist 🙂
Cheesy rich yummy!!!!!!