Though I've been complaining about the cold and rain this spring, I have to admit, sometimes I am kind of thrilled to still be able to wear my jackets and boots and cook my delicious and comforting Colombian food. These little things help me to enjoy this unexpected and nasty weather that we've been having this May.
Beans are an important Colombian food and we have many recipes using all types of beans. Frijoles Blancos con Cerdo y Tocineta is one of those recipes. Enjoy it!
Frijoles Blancos con Cerdo (White Beans with Pork)
- 1 pound white beans, soaked overnight
- ½ pound bacon, diced
- 2 pounds pork ribs, cut into pieces
- 12 cups water
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ tbsp sazon Goya with azafran
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Pick through the beans and discard any debris.
- In a food processor, add garlic, onion, red bell pepper, green pepper and scallion.
- In a large pot over medium heat, place the bacon and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beans, water, processed vegetables, chicken bouillon, carrots and pork ribs. Slightly cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the ground cumin, sazon Goya, cilantro and potatoes. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes more or until the beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve with white rice, avocado and hogao on the side.
I love comforting dishes like this...you're right, it's the perfect food for a chilly spring!
Luce riquísimo Erica. Me encanta el cerdo preparado así.
It seems that this nasty weather is everywhere. It's been raining here every afternoon this past week with thunderstorms. The weather is hot though and humid. However, you dish sounds delicious and bookmarked for colder days.
I wish it was a bit cooler already! This dish would sure make me comfortable.
this is luchtime and i am now very hungry !!!!Pierre
Cold days are over for us, Erica. But I'll save this delicious recipe for next winter. It looks like great comfort food. I do love anything with beans...your recipes are always wonderful!
What kind of pork ribs? It looks like "country style" pork ribs in the picture but I wanted to be sure.
I agree! That is one of the main advantages of cold weather, eating dishes like this one!
This is what I need for what has been ailing me this month. Delicioso!