Guiso de Cola (Colombian-Style Oxtail Stew)
- 4 pounds oxtails
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots cut into large pieces
- 8 small red potatoes partially peeled
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground achiote
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, add oxtails, season with salt and pepper, add the onions, scallions, garlic and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Add enough water to just cover the oxtails and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours, add more water if necessary.
- dd the broth, tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, cumin and achiote. Cook for 30 minutes more or until everything is tender. Sprinkle on fresh cilantro and serve with white rice.
This Guiso de Cola is not a quick weeknight meal, by any means, but it is most certainly a "make your house smell amazing" weekend kind of meal. It also makes for terrific leftovers!
This Oxtail Stew is one of the most comforting dishes I know. A classic Colombian dish made with oxtails simmered in stock with carrots, onions, tomatoes, spices, potatoes and herbs.
This simple Colombian dish is usually served with plain white rice, the perfect partner for soaking up the delicious sauce. The taste of this Guiso de Cola is divine, succulent and rich, with fork-tender meat that falls off the bone and melts in your mouth.