Saffron and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 8 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and drain.
- Place the potatoes back in the pot and return to the heat. Stir the potatoes, constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes to dehydrate the potatoes. Remove the potatoes from the heat.
- Add the butter. Using a hand held masher, mash the butter into the potatoes.
- Place the milk in a saucepan with the saffron and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and saffron milk. The potatoes should still be sort of lumpy. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Colombia, as it is an American holiday, but since meeting my American husband, I celebrate this American tradition with his family. I am sure most Colombians would love to have another day to celebrate and an excuse to have a party :).
A classic side dish that I usually see on a Thanksgiving Day table is potatoes. So, today I am giving you my saffron and garlic mashed potatoes recipe, which has delicious flavor from the saffron. Why not try this recipe on Thanksgiving Day?