Paella is one of my favorite dishes to cook when entertaining. Not only is it delicious but it’s a one-pot dish which makes for simple preparation and easy clean-up.
My sister-in-law and her family came to visit from Virginia this summer. I made this paella for them at an early diner party with a green salad on the side. It was a hit, everybody loved it! Even my vegetarian husband couldn’t take his eyes off of it :). Enjoy!
½ cup olive oil
6 Spanish chorizos
4 chicken tights
4 chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon paprika
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups Arborio rice
12 littlenecks clams, cleaned
Salt and pepper
6 cups chicken stock
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup chopped flat parsley
Lemon wedges for serving
Large pinch saffron threads
- In a large paella pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and the chorizo. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the chorizo is brown. Remove and set aside.
- Rub the chicken pieces with paprika, salt and pepper and add to the paella pan. Sauté for 4 minutes on each side or until brown. Remove from the paella pan and set aside with the chorizo.
- Add the onions and garlic to the paella pan and sauté for about 7 minutes or until translucent. Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken stock, stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the chicken pieces, chorizo and saffron, cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Add the shrimp and clams, give the paella a good shake and cook for 10 minutes more. Add the peas and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and decorate with lemon wedges. Serve.