The theme for this months Creative Cooking Crew challenge was: Pickle it! We had to pickle an ingredient and incorporate it in a complete dish.
I decided to pickle one of my favorite Latin ingredients, Jalapeños!And for the complete dish, I made Beef Lettuce Wraps with Pickled Jalapeños.
I love this dish because it is very versatile and flavorful. You can make it with shrimp, chicken, turkey, crab meat, fish or even tofu for a vegetarian version.
Don’t forget to check the list of all the recipes from the other bloggers on Foodalogue on September 30th!
- 8 large Jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pickled Jalapeños
For the Beef Wraps:
6 leaves iceberg Lettuce
1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated carrots
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Diced avocado for serving
Red onion, sliced for serving
Grape tomatoes, quarter for serving
- To pickle de jalapeños: In a small pot place the water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil and add the jalapeños. Remove the from the stove and set a side for about 10 minutes.
- lace the jalapenos and liquid into a jar. Let them cool at room temperature.
- To make the wraps: In a sauce pan heat oil and add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cumin and mix well. Add the ground beef and cook until it is cooked through, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped fresh cilantro. Place about 3 tablespoons of the filling in each lettuce and top with the pickled jalapeños, red onion, tomatoes and avocado.