Beef Lettuce Wraps with Pickled Jalapeños
For the Pickled Jalapeños
- 8 large Jalapenos sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Beef Wraps:
- 6 leaves iceberg Lettuce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Diced avocado for serving
- Red onion, sliced for serving
- Grape tomatoes, quarter for serving
- To pickle de jalapeños: In a small pot place the water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil and add the jalapeños. Remove the from the stove and set a side for about 10 minutes.
- lace the jalapenos and liquid into a jar. Let them cool at room temperature.
- To make the wraps: In a sauce pan heat oil and add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cumin and mix well. Add the ground beef and cook until it is cooked through, stirring often.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add chopped fresh cilantro. Place about 3 tablespoons of the filling in each lettuce and top with the pickled jalapeños, red onion, tomatoes and avocado.
The theme for this months Creative Cooking Crew challenge was: Pickle it! We had to pickle an ingredient and incorporate it in a complete dish.
I decided to pickle one of my favorite Latin ingredients, Jalapeños!And for the complete dish, I made Beef Lettuce Wraps with Pickled Jalapeños.
I love this dish because it is very versatile and flavorful. You can make it with shrimp, chicken, turkey, crab meat, fish or even tofu for a vegetarian version.