I made these delicious Dulce de Leche Cookies last month, but somehow never got around to posting them. You can never have too many dulce de leche or arequipe recipes, right?
Make these cookies and share them with someone you love.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
about ½ cup sugar, for rolling
1. Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350° .
2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Beat the butter on medium speed for a minute or two, until smooth and creamy. Add the dulce de leche and beat for another minute.
5. Add the sugars and beat for 3 minutes more. Add the egg, beating for 1 minute more.
6. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl and, on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing for about 2 minutes. The dough will be very soft and mushy.
7. Pour the ½ cup of sugar onto a small plate. Roll the dough between your palms into balls and drop the balls, a couple at a time, into the sugar.
8. Roll the balls around in the sugar to coat them, then place on the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them.
9. Dip the fork in the sugar and press the tines against each ball until you have a flattened round.
10. Bake for about 12 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The cookies should be a little soft.
11. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheets for one minute before transferring them to the cooling racks. Cool to room temperature.